Saturday, February 5, 2011

Peanut Butter Bovines (Cookies)

Like I said -- I love to bake.  Much more than I love to cook.  I really DON'T love to cook, but I am a good cook.  I think if I loved to cook, then I would have to love to diet.  But, I don't love to diet.  So, instead, I bake, because I don't have to bake every day in order to enjoy it, whereas if I loved to cook I think that I would be cooking much more than I do.  Huh?

Anyway, the recipe that I want to share today is one of my son's favorites, as well as the favorite of a family friend, Cody.  I know that when he comes over I need to make a double batch so that J-GQ will have enough for himself.

This recipe was given to me by my very good friend, Kim, who is the author of the blog "Chef By Necessity."  You gotta check it out.  I received a number of nummy recipes from her when I got married, and I always LOVED these.  The original name is "Peanut Butter Blossoms", but we slightly changed it to "Bovine"... really a private joke...

These cookies are easy, delicious, and very peanut-butter-and-chocolatey.  Not as easy as grabbing a Reese's, but nonetheless.  You will like them.  A LOT.


Peanut Butter Bovines

Start out my mixing together 1 cube (1/2 cup) butter and 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter.

 
 
I really like this picture because it is very "swirly".

Add to this 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup white sugar, and swirl some more.



Then add 1 egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla.  You guessed it -- swirl.





Then, add all together 1 and 3/4 cups flour, 1 teaspoon soda, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.  (I don't do well with the "Measure dry ingredients together" rule.)  Swirl some more.  The mixture should look a bit "dry", but not overly.


Once it is all mixed together, you are going to form them into 1" or so balls, and roll them in granulated sugar,


and place them on a baking sheet.  Bake them at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes (my oven takes 10 minutes).  While you are waiting for them to cook, unwrap about 36 Hershey's Kisses.

Cookies should bake until they look like this:



Once they look like that, take them out of the oven, and immediately press chocolate kisses into their centers.


Cool.  Yes, they are VERY cool.  And they are good.  Remove from the pan and serve.  They are the BEST when the chocolate is still melted.  Num.  Serve to your best family members and friends. 

And, thank you, Kim, for another fine recipe from your kitchen!

(Recipe in full is below.) 
Peanut Butter Bovines

1/2 cup real butter
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 cup flour
1 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. salt
36 chocolate kisses

Mix all together and bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.  Press chocolate kisses into center. 







CHICKY GROOVY COOLNESS GADGET


T.K. Goforth is a musician and author of the well-received book "Chord Piano is Fun!" She also writes a music blog called "Chord Piano Chick's Mostly Musical Musings.
Chord Piano Is Fun

2 comments:

  1. The boys LOVE these! A keeper in the Gilbertson family, indeed! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

T.K. Goforth is a musician and author of the well-received book "Chord Piano Chick's Mostly Musical Musings."Chord Piano is Fun!" She also writes a music blog called "Chord Piano Chick's Mostly Musical Musings.