Thursday, March 10, 2011

Korean Barbeque (Bulgogi) (You will want to eat this everyday!)

OK.  So I have the greatest Boyfriend in the world.  I'm so glad I married him.  Of course, he said he married me because he felt sorry for me and felt that I was an experiment.  That's okay.  I tell him that I was so desperate and he was there at the right time.

But, truly, after dinners like last night, I am SURE I got me just the right personal husband.  He made me some oh so fabulously ridiculously nummy, "goodlicious" (as J-GQ used to say) BULGOGI, (Korean BBQ).  His mom used to make this for his family when he was small (she was Korean) and he has passed it down to our family.  I'm pretty sure J-GQ will continue the tradition...

Are you ready?  HERE GOES!!  (And it's SOOO easy!)


BULGOGI (Korean BBQ)

Buy a big slab of ribeye.  You can get several steaks, or have the butcher slice it up for you.  Don't use any other kind.  This is the best and makes it juicy, tender and moist.  (This recipe is for about 2-3 lbs. of meat). 


If the roast isn't already cut into thin steaks, do so.  Then, slice each piece across the grain into smaller strips like so:

  
Put 'em all in a big bowl, because you're gonna need it.





Try to not waste any on the dog, who will be waiting and watching at your feet for a small tasty morsel to drop and wait at her mercy:





Marinade

Mix up the marinade, which consists of:

1/2 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 Tablespoon sesame seeds
1 Tablespoon garlic powder, or 2-3 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon ginger power, or about the same amount (or more) of fresh ginger, grated
3 Tablespoons sugar (can be white or brown)
5 green onions, sliced
1/4 - 1/2 cup water

All of the above ingredients can be adjusted to taste.  You might also want to make more, depending upon how much marinade you want to smother it in.
Continue to try to hold off the dog, who will try to be as patient as possible, or else will sulk.


Pour the marinade over the meat, and marinate it for a few hours.  Doesn't have to be forever.  Three hours or so is about right. 


It should look about like this:



Cover it and put it in the fridge, but take it out about 1/2 hour beforehand to get warmed up a bit before grilling. 


When you have put it in the fridge, you can take a few of the scraps of meat (without marinade, of course) and give it to the dog, but I wouldn't recommend it.  We found that the meat was little rich for ours.



 GRILL IT

When it's close to time to eat, GRILL the meat over a hot grill. You don't need to grill it very long...because you want it tender.  I was teaching piano lessons while this was being done, so I did not get a picture of it. 

However, once I remembered (but after people had already dived in) I got a photo of the finished product (I apologize for the mess....)





Serve this (so you will want to prepare this before hand) with potstickers (we use "Ling Ling" potstickers that we buy at Kroger or Walmart and that come with a handy, tasty pouch of dipping sauce- num.), rice, and a coleslaw salad.  I just got a bag of salad, put in some slivered almonds, and Asian Sesame dressing from the store.



Eat it all up and emote over how delicious this is, and how much your mouth loves it but that your stomach is not big enough to handle all that tasty goodness that your mouth wants to eat.  Remind yourself that you CAN make this again so that you don't gorge yourself like you will never eat it again, because, honestly, you will want to.

And, now you can see why I REALLY married My Boyfriend...







CHICKY GROOVY COOLNESS GADGET


T.K. Goforth is a musician and author of the well-received book "Chord Piano is Fun!" She also writes a music blog called "Chord Piano Chick's Mostly Musical Musings.
Chord Piano Is Fun

7 comments:

  1. yum! and the little asides to that sweet doggie made me smile. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be making this for the boys tomorrow night! Thank you Grandma! I miss her... She was such a character :0)

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummmyyyy! This looks really good... Well, that's a great husband, I can see why you married him!
    That's a cute dog too!
    Suddenly I'm very hungry, I'm going to go eat something right now! :)
    Love your website,
    George

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, made this recipe a few nights ago and it was delicious! I didn't have the pot stickers but had brown rice with it and it was YUMMMMMMY! So good that our middle son ate the leftovers for breakfast the next day! Tonight I am using pork! The family requested it again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, George! And this dish is VERY good, as Laurie can also attest to! I hope it didn't make you tooo hungry, but this is a great dish! I'm glad you liked it, Laurie! Eat up! I want more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am new here and would love you to come visit and follow me to :)
    http://www.trying2staycalm.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. MMMMMM!!!! FOOD!! Looks good!! I am following you back (the one with the Alfredo recipe) This is where I get my nutritional info http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp I hope that this help! :)

    http://mommysmenuplanning.blogspot.com/

    http://firebutterflyjewels.blogspot.com/

    http://myowngrocerygame.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

T.K. Goforth is a musician and author of the well-received book "Chord Piano Chick's Mostly Musical Musings."Chord Piano is Fun!" She also writes a music blog called "Chord Piano Chick's Mostly Musical Musings.